Memorial Archives

Thomas Dechastelain Backgrounder
posted Sep 5, 2006 at 07:11PM

This is the most difficult moment here. Thomas DeChastelain passed away shortly after midnight, Monday morning Sept 4. 2006. He died of a sudden heart attack and was with his wife at home at the time.

Thomas Dechastelain Backgrounder

We were requested to offer some background about Thomas DeChastelain's life
and will do so here.

TomD used a pen name for his articles, but had considered at times using his real name on this site. Because a real person has passed away, we wish to share more about Frank Karbowiak, the man behind the byline.

He was born June 2, 1960 in Rouyn-Noranda in northern Quebec. He was the son of a Polish immigrant father and a Croatian immigrant mother, both of whom left their homelands after the occupations of World War II.

Frank played competitive hockey and fastball as he grew up. He did work for a time in the summer at the Noranda mine, but eventually left to continue his education at a CEGEP near Montreal. A couple of years later he joined the Canadian infantry, earning an Engineering degree and becoming a Captain with the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry regiment. He served two tours at CFB Baden in Germany and retired in Ottawa after 22 years. As we fortunately, didn't fight WW3 against the Soviets, Germany was one of his best times in life with many stories of wild training exercises, and weekend leave bar-hops. He finished his career at NDHQ managing the creation and construction of a $40 million live fire training sites project at four Canadian military bases.

In retirement, he wanted to devote time to writing about philosophical world views. Much of his work was not finished. Frank was well read and used the Internet extensively for research. He owned a considerable collection of books which were donated in his name to a university library following his passing.

Frank also enjoyed investment and technical analysis. In this regard, he is self taught. became a serious hobby to share his thoughts.

We have received many emails of condolences, and have read the posted comments, with so many nice words about his work. I apologize for not having retuned many replies.

Frank's passing came as such a sudden shock with no forewarnings. He has always been quite healthy. Simply put, we were watching TV just after midnite Sunday night when he felt a burning pain in his chest. In less than half an hour, Frank had died and the paramedics who worked for perhaps two hours, could not revive him. It has been a dreadful nightmare. Frank died from severe coronary artery disease. There had been no forewarning. Our family doctor said that in 30 percent of these cases, the first onset of symptoms results in death.

Frank has always been a spirited, intelligent and caring person, who sometimes seemed larger than life. His smile was broad and happy. His life has been good and his loss is felt so deeply. He is survived by myself and our three cats. I am happy so many others were able to share in his thoughts, and I miss him endlessly. He has been my light.

In memorium: Frank Karbowiak, June 2, 1960 - Sept 4, 2006.

Bullet Bullet Bullet